Nearby

The Candlelight Inn at Bishopswood

The Candlelight Inn at Bishopswood

The Candlelight Inn at Bishopswood is just 4 miles away (and worth Every Yard!) and winner of Somerset Life Magazine, Somersets Best Gastro Pub 2015

Click here to their Facebook video

Website (Click here)

Pubs & Food Nearby

Also we are lucky to have the following close by:

The Cotley Inn at Wambrook, https://www.cotleyinnwambrook.co.uk/

The Flintlock at Marsh, https://theflintlockinn.co.uk/

The Holt, Honiton http://www.theholt-honiton.com/

The Sidmouth Arms, Upottery http://www.sidmoutharms.com/

The Lamb and Flag, Blagdon http://www.thelambandflag.com/

La Campagna Italian,  https://la-campagna.co.uk/chard/

Allhallows Museum Honiton

Allhallows Museum is registered museum and a charity (no 306645) which is run entirely by volunteers.  We all work to preserve the heritage of the people of Honiton and its surrounding district and collect, conserve and display items which show how our ancestors used to live.

Our museum building is the oldest in Honiton with an interesting history. It started its life as a chapel and documents show that it existed before 1327. In the 16th century we know there was a school meeting in the chapel, probably to teach choirboys to sing in Latin and to read and write.

The chapel was partly demolished to make room for the building of St Paul’s Church. It then became a schoolroom for Allhallows Grammar School until 1903 when it was changed back into a chapel as a memorial to ex-pupils who died in the South African Boer War. In 1938 Allhallows School left its ancient home in Honiton and moved to Rousdon. The building became an ARP first aid post throughout the war.

After the war the building was placed in the hands of Trustees who opened Allhallows Museum  to the public for the first time on 13th  November 1946.

The Glen

Honiton, an East Devon market town whose Market Charter was granted in 1257, has the southern part of its parish in the valley of the River Gissage. A tributary, the Glen Stream, flows down a side valley or goyle and into the Gissage.

The Honiton development plan of' the 1960s proposed up to 12.5 acres of public gardens in the valley of' the Glen Stream. The nucleus was to be the 2.5 acre Lower Glen that had been given to the people of Honiton by Major H. H. Lilley to commemorate the 1935 Silver Jubilee. Major Lilley's hope that the Higher Glen would be added to the Lower Glen has recently been achieved. The Higher Glen, once described as a fine example of' a horticultural wild garden, together with adjoining land, has been acquired

Wolford Chapel

Wolford Chapel in Devon, England, is the burial place of John Graves Simcoe, the first lieutenant governor of Upper Canada. It is the property of the Canadian province of Ontario, and flies the Flag of Canada despite being in the English countryside. The chapel was part of the Simcoe Estate at Dunkeswell, near Honiton, Devon, in South West England and was built on John Graves Simcoe's commission in 1802. The Simcoes had purchased an estate at Wolford and built Wolford Lodge. Following Simcoe's death on 26 October 1806 the estate remained with the family until 1923 but was eventually sold and some parts broken up. The Chapel, alongside most of the estate, was acquired by British publisher Sir Geoffrey Harmsworth.

Knapp Copse Local Nature Reserve

Knapp Copse Local Nature Reserve (LNR) is part of the wider East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), an area which has everything from secluded valleys and large areas of heathland to steep hills and breathtaking cliffs. Knapp Copse is also adjacent to Gittisham Hill with its Bronze-Age barrows.

The reserve has a rich mosaic of habitats that result in a very attractive landscape once typical of this part of Devon. It includes ancient woodland, species-rich grassland, springline mire and a network of hedgerows to offer a home to a wealth of wildlife.